If you are experiencing loading crashes, effects/features not being present, or installation issues, please refer here for instructions on how to help resolve the problem.
***Note*** This page will receive continuous updates, as more fixes are found. *** Note ***
Getting the installer to run
If you are receiving errors from the auto-installer, stating it cannot find the assembly.xml file, or any other errors, make sure you have completed the following installation steps.
- Make sure you have extracted the downloaded GTA5_REDUX.zip before running the installer.
- Run OpenIV in administrator mode. (right click OpenIV icon, and “run as administrator”)
- Ensure you have installed all the required OpenIV asi scripts. (From within OpenIV, click on tools, then asi manager. INSTALL ALL PLUG-INS LISTED!)
- Ensure you have installed ScripthookV and you have copied and pasted the files dinput8.dll, and ScriptHookV.dll into your GTA 5 main directory. DELETE any file titled dsound.dll that is in your directory!
Points of FAILURE
a) If you click install, and do not receive an option to choose either game folder or mods folder. You have not properly installed the asi plug-ins from openIV, or the ScriptHookV files.
b) If the installer cannot open an RPF file, find the assembly.xml, or provides other errors, you must make sure you are running the program as administrator, and you have fully extracted the downloaded zip file.
Step 1. Determine the result of the crash
In order to do this, we must remove all the ReShade and ENB files, and attempt to launch the game. (Files to remove/delete – ReShade (folder), enbseries (folder), d3d11.dll, dxgi.dll, enblightsprite.fx, enblocal.ini, enbseries.ini, and ReShade.fx)
If your game runs after removing the files, then the result was ReShade and ENB, please continue to Step 2. of this section.
If after removing all the files, your game still continues to crash during loading, please refer to Step 3. of this section, then continue with Step 2.
Step 2. Dealing with ReShade & ENB loading crashes.
a) The first thing to do is install the 1. Redux (original) preset. This option was configured using an older, and more stable version of ReShade. If your game still crashes with this preset, open up your GTA 5 main directory, and complete the following:
Rename the dxgi.dll *file* to ReShade64.dll
Open your enblocal.ini file,
locate the line –
And rename it to –
(make sure you save the file after your changes)
If your game successfully launches after this step, you will need to apply this fix to every ReShade Option you try.
b) If your game ran successfully when using the the Redux original preset, yet crashes while using other ones, try the following: (make sure to read the note for this section)
- Make sure you have ZERO applications running. Close down any background applications as well, including simple browsers, or even windows explorer.
- Set steam to run in offline mode, and disconnect from the internet. OR create a text file titled commandline.txt and place the following line inside it
(this file must be placed inside your main GTA 5 directory, and you must have previously ran the game with an online connection)
***NOTE*** REPEAT THE LAUNCH PROCESS! Unfortunately, due to the version of ReShade, there will almost always be some loading crashes with different presets. In some cases, completing the prior steps resolves the problem, and the game will launch. Other times, simply re-launching will provide the fix. However, the instability is only during launch, once in -game, any crashes experienced are not due to ReShade.
Additional info: Some of the presets will display a yellow warning message when launching the game. This is 100% normal, and is not a problem. However, if you see red error messages displayed, there has been a mistake in copying over the data. Make sure to delete the ReShade folder from your directory, before copying over another preset. Overwrite all files when asked!
Step 3. Correcting loading crashes that are not a result of ReShade & ENB
If you have followed the previous steps, and determined that your loading crashes are not coming from ReShade & ENB, complete the following:
(check out the Requirements page to make sure you are following the exceptions before continuing with these steps)
- Re-download and install a fresh copy of GTA 5, and make sure you have all the required updates. Current version is: 791.1
- Run the game once, and create a save.
- Create the mods folder ensuring you are using a copy of this data! DO NOT use an older version of the game, a modded version, or anything other than the data you have just tested and ran. (steps to create the mods folder can be found “here”)
- Continue with the installation process as normal. Use OpenIV to locate the REDUX_INSTALLER.oiv file, and install it into the “GAME FOLDER” option. (This will still put the files into the “mods” folder, due to the way the installer was configured.)
- When running OpenIV, right click and run as administrator. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE EXTRACTED THE GTA5_REDUX.zip BEFORE TRYING TO RUN THE AUTO-INSTALLER!!!!
- DON’T FORGET TO INSTALL THE DAY 1 PATCH AFTER THE FULL INSTALLATION. Simply follow the exact same steps as running the full installer package, choosing “game folder” as the install path.
- Run the game prior to installing any of the ReShade presets.
- If you have followed all the steps correctly, you should have a successful installation.
Effects/features not found in game!
If you have installed the project, yet are unable to see/experience some of the new features, follow these steps to correct the issue.
- Delete your mods folder, and create a new one!(the most common reason for not seeing all features, is that not all the original data was successfully copied into the mods folder.)
- When creating the mods folder, make sure you are using game data that you have tested to successfully run! Make a copy of the exact files you have tested. DO NOT USE OLDER GAME DATA, MODDED DATA, OR ANYTHING FROM ANOTHER LOCATION.
- Here is a list of the exact files and folder that need to be directly copied from a working version of the game, into the mods folder that you created in its main directory:
update (entire folder),x64 (entire folder), common.rpf, x64a.rpf, x64b.rpf, x64c.rpf, x64d.rpf, x64e.rpf, x64f.rpf, x64g.rpf, x64h.rpf, x64i.rpf, x64j.rpf, x64k.rpf, x64l.rpf, x64m.rpf, x64n.rpf, x64o.rpf, x64p.rpf, x64q.rpf, x64r.rpf, x64s.rpf, x64t.rpf, x64u.rpf, x64v.rpf, x64w.rpf.